TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The Hackathon is open to individuals who are at least eighteen years old.
Participation in the Hackathon constitutes Participant’s full and unconditional agreement to and acceptance of these Terms and Conditions (“Terms”). The term “you” refers to you, the “Participant”. Employees of Sponsors and their respective parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising, promotion, fulfillment or other coordinating agencies, individuals providing services to Sponsors through an outsourcer or temporary employment agency during the Hackathon period, and their respective immediate family members and persons living in their same household, are not eligible to participate in the Hackathon.
You can participate either as part of a team of up to five (5) people or on an individual basis. Switching teams or joining two teams is not allowed. Sponsors are not responsible for, and will not assist in resolving, any disputes between team members. To participate, you must register on-line with all required basic information and submit the Project details before the deadline. You, as a Participant will be required to do the following:
• Create and develop innovative products based on the UP board.
• A team may only submit one project. Individual Participants may only submit one project. Incomplete project may be disqualified.
Scoring and Judging:
• Difficulty (25%): Is it a complex project? Complex but feasible projects will get a higher score.
• Utility (25%): Does it have commercial value? We encourage everyone to develop something that can be pushed as a commercial product.
• Creativity (30%): Is the project creative enough from a concept, software and hardware point of view?
• Scalability (20%): Can the solution be duplicated easily from a mass production point of view
• The Project that earns the highest overall score will win. The decisions of the judges will be final. The final five(5) nominated Projects will be informed to send their Project to the designated address before January 10th and judges will deliberate to determine the winner on January 20th. Each Participant or team must be available on-call during the judging period for how to demonstrate the Participant’s or team’s Project. Judging will be conducted in a “science fair” format, so judges may inspect Project at any time during the judging period.
• The judging period may be extended by Sponsors for any length of time, in Sponsors’ discretion. If a judge or Participant identifies to Sponsors a conflict of interest, that judge will be recused from judging the Project with the conflict and an alternate judge will be identified as a substitution for the judge with the conflict. Each Project must be original, of the Participant’s or Participant’s teams own creation and newly written during the Hackathon and must not have been entered in any other competition or program similar to the Hackathon, including other competitions conducted by Sponsors. Determination of eligibility and compliance is at the sole discretion of Sponsors. Sponsors reserve the right to disqualify any Project if the Project or a Participant or a Participant’s team does not comply with these Terms.
Ownership of Project and Intellectual Property:
Participant represents and warrants that the Project is and will be Participant’s own original work and does not and will not infringe the intellectual property or proprietary rights of any third party, including, without limitation, any third party patents, copyrights or trademarks. Participant hereby agrees not to instigate, support, maintain or authorize any action, claim or lawsuit against the Sponsors, or any other person, on the grounds that post the Project details after the Hackathon winner is announced. Participant hereby appoints the officers of Sponsor as Participant’s attorney-in-fact to execute documents on behalf of Participant for this limited purpose. Nothing herein shall constitute an employment, joint venture, or partnership relationship between Participant and either or both of the Sponsors. Participants will not receive any compensation from Sponsors’ in connection with any Project. Each Participant acknowledges and agrees
Except where prohibited, by participating in the Hackathon, Participant consents to the use of his/her name, photo and/or likeness, biographical information, Projects and statements attributed to Participant (if true) for advertising and promotional purposes, including without limitation, inclusion in Sponsors’ newsletters, Sponsors’ website at http://www.up-board.org and http://www.up-community.org, and any of the Sponsors’ social media accounts or outlets without additional compensation.
Indemnity: You agree to release, indemnify, defend and hold Sponsors and their parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, directors, officers, employees, sponsors and agents, including advertising and promotion agencies, and assigns, and any other organizations related to the Hackathon, harmless, from any and all claims, injuries, damages, expenses or losses to person or property and/or liabilities of any nature that in any way arise from participation in the Hackathon or acceptance or use of a prize or parts thereof, including without limitation (i) any condition caused by events beyond Sponsors’ control that may cause the Hackathon to be disrupted or corrupted; (ii) any claim than an Entry infringes third party intellectual property or proprietary rights; (iii) any disputes among team members, (iv) any injuries, losses, or damages (compensatory, direct, incidental, consequential or otherwise) of any kind arising in connection with or as a result of the prize, or acceptance, possession, or use of the prize, or from participation in the Hackathon; (v) any printing or typographical errors in any materials associated with the Hackathon; technical errors that may impair your ability to participate in the Hackathon; or (vi) errors in the administration of the Hackathon.
DISCLAIMER. IN NO EVENT WILL SPONSORS BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY DIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, EXEMPLARY, PUNITIVE OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING LOSS OF USE, DATA, BUSINESS OR PROFITS) ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH YOUR PARTICIPATION IN THE HACKATHON, WHETHER SUCH LIABILITY ARISES FROM ANY CLAIM BASED UPON CONTRACT, WARRANTY, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), STRICT LIABILITY OR OTHERWISE, AND WHETHER OR NOT SPONSORS HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE
POSSIBILITY OF SUCH LOSS OR DAMAGE. Some jurisdictions do not allow the limitation or exclusion of liability for incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you.
Sponsors reserve the right, in their sole discretion, to cancel, modify or suspend the Hackathon in whole or in part, in the event of fraud, technical or other difficulties or if the integrity of the Hackathon is compromised, without liability to the Participants. Sponsors reserve the right to disqualify any Participant, as determined by Sponsors, in their sole discretion. These Terms are governed by the law of the Netherlands, without reference to rules governing choice of laws. Any action, suit or case arising out of, or in connection with, this Hackathon or the Terms must be brought in either the federal or state courts located in the Netherlands. Sponsors’ failure to enforce any term of these Terms shall not constitute a waiver of that provision.